By dexterhan : A how to tutorial about Left 4 Dead 2 video errors fix, Fix Left 4 Dead 2 Black Screen, Left 4 Dead 2 install errors fix, Gaming with step by step guide from dexterhan.
Left 4 Dead 2 Black Screen Problem You May Encounter on PC
Like a few others here, I've had the Black Screen of Death error, where the sound loops, the screen goes to black, and then you get the "no input signal" on your monitor. The only way to get your PC back up and running is to do a hard power down or hard reset of the computer. I have had this problem for well over a year, but it was always random, and sometimes I could go for many hours with no crash. With Left 4 Dead 2, I was getting the crash REALLY FAST (after 5-10 minutes of play time), and it has been really frustrating.
I noticed a thread somewhere else where someone had a 9600GT, and what they had done to fix the error, and I hope that I have also gotten a "fix" for my situation by using the same solution. So far I have played the demo several times with zero crashes, with the game running up to 1 1/2 hours so far. Hopefully this will hold when the actual game comes out ! I don't want to jinx it so don't want to report this problem fixed.
My important specs:
Nvidia 9600 GT
AMD dual core processor
I had banged my head since Left 4 Dead was released, trying to figure this out, using all kinds of the workarounds provided:
- checked temperature
- mat_queue_mode 0 in the console
- Checking for high kernel pooled memory usage
- Setting affinity to one core in task manager
- Even RMA'ed the video card (my older NVidia card did not have this problem) to get another in return
- reinstalled old video drivers 178
- installed AMD dual core fix
How to Fix Left 4 Dead 2 Black Screen on PC
The final thing that I have done that seems to have stabilized my system (so far) was really simple, and I got this trick from another post:
- Uninstall Nvidia driver
- Do a search for any Phys* files on the system (know what you are doing here!). These files are in Program Files, and also in the Windows system32 folder. I MANUALLY DELETED all of these files
- Run Driver Sweeper to remove all traces of Nvidia and Physx files from the system and the registry (make sure you don't delete any other Nvidia devices you don't want to like your network interface if it uses Nvidia chipset)
- Reboot, and install Nvidia 178 driver (you cannot get a newer driver than this or it won't work)
The key here looks like that the Nvidia uninstaller does not remove old versions of Physx. So, you have to manually remove Physx. The post I got this from was able to locate a separate Physx uninstaller, so he was able to do it that way. But I could not locate any Physx uninstallers, so I just manually removed all of the files, followed by the Driver Sweeper program. I must have had over 10 versions of Physx located in Program Files.
Also, it has been mentioned in several places in many Left 4 Dead forums. that drivers newer than 178 often cause problems with Left 4 Dead.
I hope that this solution is permanent and that it may help other people. I've spent dozens upon dozens of on and off hours trying to get this figured out over the course of a year.
Click Here to See: How to Fix Left 4 Dead 2 Video Errors on PC
Was this helpful? 1 0 1 Comments
More answers and tutorials come with rich photos, detailed steps related to How to Fix Left 4 Dead 2 Black Screen on PC.
You are reading How to Fix Left 4 Dead 2 Black Screen on PC.
Top Trends in Gaming
Do you like it? Share with friends!